The Chinese citizenship
process is straightforward, with simple and fast formalities. However, the Chinese government is quite selective when it comes to foreigners who apply for citizenship and solicit their rights in this country. Legal advice and support can be provided by our law firm in China
and particularly by our immigration lawyers in China
matters. They can also help overseas investors start businesses in China
| Quick Facts || |
| Nationalities accepted || All |
Law regarding the Chinese citizenship
Chinese Nationality Law
| Can the Chinese nationality be restored? (Yes/No) || |
Yes, it is possible to recover Chinese nationality after it has been lost.
| Who is in charge with citizenship applications in China? || |
Ministry of Public Security
| Who does approve/dismiss the citizenship applications of foreigners? || |
Local Public Security Bureaus
| Requirements to obtain Chinese citizenship || |
- fill out the form;
- provide supporting documents;
- prove knowledge of Chinese knowledge
| Citizenship application processing time || |
| Methods for obtaining citizenship in China || |
- long-term residence in China etc.
| Is knowledge of language necessary to obtain citizenship in China? (Yes/No) || Yes |
| Benefits to obtain Chinese citizenship || |
- medical assistance,
- unemployment insurance,
- other social welfare benefits
| Personal income tax rate || |
- 3% for income up to CNY3,000;
- 10% for income between CNY3,001 and 12,000;
- 20% for income between CNY12,001 and 25,000;
- 25% for income between CNY25,001 and 35,000;
- 30% for income between CNY35,001 and 55,000;
- 35% for income between CNY55,001 and 80,000;
- 45% for income over CNY80,000
| Is permanent residence certificate required for citizenship? (Yes/No) || |
| How can you get the permanent residence certificate? || |
The applicant should apply for a D visa at a Chinese embassy and acquire a Certificate of Permanent Residence of Aliens from the public security authority that has accepted the applications within 30 days of admission.
| When should I pay the fee for citizenship? || While submitting the documents for citizenship application |
Eligibility criteria for Chinese citizenship in 2022
A series of conditions must be respected in order to properly apply for citizenship in China in 2022. For instance, you can obtain citizenship if you get married to a Chinese individual, if you already live in China or having Chinese parents but living abroad. Here are other requirements to consider at the time the Chinese citizenship application is made:
- One must fill a form offered by the Public Security Bureau, Entry & Exit Administration, with personal information and reasons for such application.
- Supporting documentation, such as personal identification card, residence permit, etc. is required.
- One must prove the Chinese language knowledge.
- An application fee must be paid when submitting the documents.
- The Ministry of Public Security will then analyze the citizenship application file and get back with an answer.
The citizenship application process in China starts with an important document and that is the Certificate for Permanent Residence in the People’s Republic of China. This can be issued if:
- You made significant investments in China.
- You are a professional who works in China.
- Being the spouse if a Chinese citizen.
- Having direct relatives in China.
Also, the criminal record will be verified by the Chinese authorities prior to the naturalization process. One of our immigration lawyers in China
can offer comprehensive assistance and legal advice to foreigners interested in Chinese citizenship in 2022
. We can handle all the formalities, documents, and other bureaucracies, in order to smooth the process with the authorities. It is highly recommended to have legal support and avoid any possible misunderstandings.
Is it hard to obtain Chinese citizenship?
Immigration to China alongside the application process for Chinese citizenship is not that complex, however, the authorities will have to make some verifications and collaborate with international organizations. More than that, foreigners will have to prove they are already integrated into society and have knowledge of the Chinese culture, traditions, and customs. Please feel free to talk to one of our Chinese attorneys and ask about how you can obtain citizenship in China, as a foreigner.
Chinese Citizenship through marriage
Chinese citizenship can also be obtained through marriage. This is a simple naturalization process, and foreigners who want to get married to a Chinese citizen
are suggested to talk to an advisor and ask for support in matters of documents. This process involves a series of formalities and bureaucracies, but it can be simplified with the help of our Chinese lawyers
The Nationality Law of China
The Nationality Law of the People’s Republic of China clearly stipulates the ways in immigration to China
and citizenship can be obtained, also being applicable to the restoration or loss of Chinese nationality. It is important to note that according to Article 3 of the Nationality Law of People’s Republic of China, the country does not recognize dual citizenship, and therefore, it is not permitted to Chinese nationals. You can have the support of our Chinese attorneys
A short guide for relocation in China
Foreigners who want to relocate to China
will have to verify if they need a visa. Once obtained, it is recommended to look for a place to stay and then apply for a residence permit. Some citizens from abroad will have to obtain a work permit if they accepted a job in China. As for foreign investors who want to open companies in China
, they can choose the Wholly Foreign-Owned Enterprise as the proper business structure for their activities. Here are some facts and figures that analyze the economy and business direction in China:
- More than USD 139 billion represented the total FDI flow for China in 2018;
- Around 60,000 companies were registered in 2018 in China;
- In 2018, there were around 871 greenfield investment projects in China;
- According to the World Bank and the 2020 Doing Business report, China ranked 31st out of 190 economies in the world.
Foreigners interested in the Chinese citizenship application
are invited to contact
our law firm in China
and find out all the details they want. They can also help foreigners start a company in China in 2022